Have you experienced burnout, and how did you fix it?

Hey, Everyone!

I am eager to pick the brains of the Skycrafters community!

Many years ago I had what I would consider to be a “burn out experience”. I was tired, cranky, and experienced a lot of stress.

I wasn’t entirely sure why I was feeling this way - I had a great job, fantastic family, and more - but I was struggling a little, and it kinda freaked me out.

Later I learned this was burnout and that it is very common.

My solution was to get away. I took a trip over to Ireland to go and visit a friend, and when I came back I felt much more refreshed and energized.

So, a question have you experienced burnout, and if you have, what have you found helps to relieve it?

Meditation?
Breaks?
Exercise?
Diet changes?

I would love this topic to be a big collection of recommendations, tools, and resources people who are struggling with burnout can use.

Recommendations of books, links to YouTube videos, podcasts, apps and more would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2 Likes

I very much have experienced, and continue to experience, burnout. I’m a burn the candle at both ends kind of girl, so I often find myself going through periods of burnout. I’m bad at vacations, so usually they aren’t quite enough to break through the burnout cycle.

What I’ve found that’s helpful is meditation. Taking time every morning to be mindful and get centered for the day has been really helpful. Do I do it every morning? No – sometime I’m too forgetful.

I’ve also found finding something outside of work that is peaceful has been helpful. For me that thing is music. I’m part of the community band in my town and having that rehearsal time every week (now that rehearsals have resumed) is incredibly healing to my burnout.

3 Likes

I’m curious, @bnwoods . How did you find the time/energy to commit to a weekly rehearsal? I feel like, anything that I try to add to my routine right now, just slip trough the cracks. This has been so hard to me right now…

It’s definitely hard, for sure, but along with all the other things that I am I have a tendency to not want to disappoint people. I look at it that if I miss rehearsal I’ll disappoint someone and that’s what “motivates” me to go. Once I’m there I enjoy myself immensely. It’s the getting there part that is hard. Using those personality flaws in my favor! :tada:

1 Like

I like this topic and for sure need some more ideas! lol. I have found a few different things that seem to help. I feel like my burnout comes in the way of a lack of motivation. I am full force into a project and then I just loose steam. It is something that I am passionate about but then just can’t find that interest again. I try to do the normal things like eat well, exercise, and get good sleep because I have noticed a direct relation to my motivation and productivity when those things aren’t good.

The thing that helps me the most though, people. When I talk with someone else about a project or some work that I have lost interest in it gets me all excited again! If I have meetings and we just talk about it then I start to remember why I enjoyed it so much. The collaboration is fun. Even if I just talk to a friend or family member about this project it is like hitting the refresh button for me. So I have noticed if I start my day off with a meeting like that then if can often give me energy for the day to get some work done and be inspired.

1 Like