How did you land your current job?

Hey Skycrafters,

I’d love to hear your stories on how you landed your current job, that way we can compile some form of tips and advice for those seeking new opportunities!

My tip is: Networking is actually a thing!

Once I was in my folks’ apartment (I was still living with them by then) and it was one of my sister’s birthday, so we were having this get-together over there. My brother-in-law told me there was this guy that I had to speak to because both of us were into “computers and stuff”. This guy, in particular, was always around at this type of event, since he was married to my sister’s best friend, but I never talked to him before, since I’m a shy person. That day I accepted that I would finally say ‘hi’ to him so my (persistent) brother-in-law would leave me alone :slight_smile: .
I went to talk to him and, 2 hours later, I was still standing in the middle of my parents’ living room talking to this phenomenal guy. At the end of the conversation, he simply said 'you are going to work with me. Four months later, I get a call from an unknown number, and that was exactly him, telling me I had an interview booked. I didn’t want it, but I also didn’t want to say no since he possibly put effort into making this happen. After a few interviews, I was delighted with the company culture and accepted the offer.
It was, hands down, the best prove to me that a ‘hi’ can go a long way.

How about you, how did you land your first job? Do you have nay tips to share?

2 Likes

Your story is similar to how I got my previous job @raphabot

6 1/2 years ago I was a Linux admin for a major retailer. The company made a major investment in hardware to build a private cloud using Vblocks (combo of VMware, EMC and cisco). Then, without warning, they decided to nix the professional services out of the budget to help get it all going. They assumed we could do it all. Could we? Maybe but we didn’t have the time. And they were already prepping us to be on-call 24x7 for the month of Nov and be ONSITE for Thanksgiving and Black Friday in case something went south. I looked into the future and didn’t like what I saw. I was tired and stressed out as it is. When our chief networking guy left, I made my decision I was out of there too. My only real concern was that my co-worker, a company vet that had been there 20+ years, was going to be left high and dry. We talked and she said if she were me, she’d leave too.

I sent my resume out and decided to contact a recruiter I’d talked to years before. Sure enough, he had this opening at where I am now. The job description read like a help desk (I’ve worked enough on help desks to know it when I hear it) and I immediately thought that they couldn’t afford me. Turns out, I was wrong and they could. And there was no on call! I decided to take a chance since the work/life balance was so much better. Well I’m still here 6 years later so I guess it worked out. :grin:

As far as advice goes, here is a few things I’ve learned:

1. Don’t burn bridges. The IT community is small and chances are you will run into people you know or people that know those people. I have checked LinkedIn to see who I know that you may know that’s in my network and reach out and talk to them first before I even interview you.

2. Leaving a job is easy but leaving people is hard. We stay in bad jobs sometimes because we are loyal. It’s what makes us good humans but it can also cost us in the long run.

3. Look before you leap. I’ve known colleagues that have taken a job just to get out or because a friend asked them to come work for them. But when you get there, you find out that it wasn’t all it was hyped to be. So do your homework and research the company before you make any major decisions.

4. Please don’t lie on your resume! I’ve been doing a lot of interviewing lately and I’ve noticed things on people’s resumes that may stand out as being different. For example, I was interviewing an AWS person and it had all the usual AWS buzzwords but I noticed he mentioned VMware twice. Got me curious so I asked about it. He tells me “well… we had it at that company but I didn’t really use it.” Not a good look. So if it’s on your resume just know someone may ask about it.

5. Attitude goes a long way. During my recent interviews, I’ve come across candidates that are qualified for sure. BUT, they lack any sort of enthusiasm. My first interview with anyone is mostly me just gauging your personality. Research the company beforehand. Know what they do. Show how excited you are. Tell them why you thought the opening looked fun/neat/cool whatever. Say things that tell me that if you don’t know something, you will dig in and learn it. Attitude and excitement will trump knowledge.

2 Likes