Let's get technical: My journey on becoming an AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner

After a very relaxing PTO and break from work, it’s time to get back on track. This week things got a lot more technical for me which was super exciting!

The previous week (you can check out that post here) was more of an introduction into the theory and high-level knowledge of AWS, this week I was able to get my hands dirty.

Most of my time was spent launching EC2 instances and the different things that go into spinning one up. Was very interesting, kinda complicated but also kinda not at the same time if that makes sense.

I learned you must be very diligent in the setup process, as well as when you go to your Terminal (mac user) to get them connected. The first time I kept getting stuck at the connection part which caused me some frustration. I thought I was doing everything right, and I was, except for one small yet important part. Instead of pulling over the public IP address, I was pulling over the private one. This small mistake was a big hang up that stopped the whole process from going forward :sweat_smile:

Another cool thing I did was launch an EC2 instance in a custom VPC. This started with me creating the VPC that would hold everything, then creating two subnets – one public and one private, and then finally launching two EC2 instances – one in my public subnet and the other in my private one. It was very rewarding building my very first secure and scalable piece of architecture :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

When it comes to launching EC2 instances, how do you make sure you’re doing everything correctly so that you don’t get hung up?

Looking forward to y’alls answers, see you next week with another follow up!

5 Likes

Not sure what you mean exactly. Depends how you look at it. Are you meaning from a functional stand point (ie does this thing actually work) or a security/best practices prospective?

Anyway, building your own VPC is the best way to learn AWS networking in my opinion. But inevitably, everyone forgets something (including me). What I usually tell people is to stare and compare. So let’s say I’m building a new VPC in N. Virginia region. And it’s not working for some reason. What I then do is go to a region I don’t normally use that has just the default VPC already set up in it. That way I’m not confused with all the other networks my colleagues may have set up. Then I go screen by screen and compare their VPC to mine and note the differences. Then I usually figure out where I went wrong.

6 Likes

I love these tips, @marykay25, thanks for sharing them.

Soon, @amiller, you are going to learn more about the beauty of the Infrastructure as a Service, or IaC for short. We talked about it quite a few over here already. The summary being that you can, instead of click buttons in a web browser, just describe, as text, what you want to build and AWS will build it. When you find your perfect recipe, you won’t get hung up anymore, because every time you want to create something, AWS will always create the way you asked it to do it.

1 Like

Infrastructure as code is a life saver, it reduces hours of work to mere minutes. However think of it as as playing a video game in Hard mode, since it requires an in-depth understanding of the infrastructure being built and a mastery of building that infrastructure from the UI. If you cant comfortably provision an EC2 using the UI then will need to go back to the Jedi Temple and train some more before you face off with Darth Vader (IaC)

5 Likes

Thank you @marykay25, @raphabot, and @curlvin for your replies and comments, all very helpful info to know.

For @marykay25: what you described pretty much answered my question. Was looking for insight on how to know what you’re setting up is done correctly and what you can use to verify it. Your tactic that you described sounds like a really good way to do just that.

2 Likes