My first week: Becoming an AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner

For those of you that don’t know, I am studying to take my AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner exam. You can find my introductory post on the topic here.

My first week is officially in the books and wow, that was a lot :sweat_smile:

The first chapter centered around Cloud Concepts and Technology and was the longest of the remaining study chapters I have, almost seven hours worth of content to be exact. I can’t lie, when I saw all those videos, I was a little overwhelmed.

To get rid of the anxiousness, I decided not to focus on how long the chapter was or how many videos there were, but instead to attack it one video at a time, and focus on getting 1% better with each passing video (hat tip to @glb :wink:)

Pomodoro, a study technique that I used to get me through college was the perfect remedy to quell any anxiety I had about taking this on. You can learn more about it here: The Pomodoro Technique® - proudly developed by Francesco Cirillo | Cirillo Consulting GmbH

Pretty much, you set a timer for whatever duration is best for you (in my case I chose 50 mins) and focus on a single task. After that 50 mins is up, you set another timer for your break (I chose 10 mins) where you relax and give your brain time to breathe. This helped tremendously and allowed me to focus and really retain the information.

I’d say the topic that I enjoyed learning the most about was S3 and CloudFront. I never knew all that goes into bringing a webpage or video up on your browser when you type in the URL, I just knew that when I pressed enter it better show up :joy:

It’s kind of like turning on the faucet at your house, when you turn that handle you expect water to come out but you’re not aware of the full process of making that happen.

For anybody who’s gone through this process, what were some of the things you enjoyed learning about most when you first started? How did you setup your study time? Would love to hear your thoughts!

See y’all next week!

5 Likes

Congratulations @amiller ! I tend to get swept up in stuff and wear out my brain a bit; setting up boundaries up front sounds like a great method for sustainable learning!

1 Like

Wooo!!! Exciting stuff @amiller! I’m a lot like @glb. I tend to get swept up in things and overwhelm my brain! Kudos to you for setting boundaries!

When I started studying for my AWS Cloud Practitioner exam I really enjoyed that it took you through a little bit of everything at a low enough level you could start to wrap your arms around it but at a high enough level that it didn’t overwhelm you completely.

2 Likes

Thank you @glb and @bnwoods!

Really enjoying what I’m learning so far. Excited to get into some of the more technical stuff :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Congratulations on starting this journey, @amiller!

I love this quote! It’s so true, even for those that fully understand what’s behind it. That’s why understanding AWS better, and what it can provide to the builders, is so important. It allows more people to build more sites/apps/services that just “show up” when any of us press enter.