Using Step Functions to build AWS CloudFormation custom resources

Originally published at: Using Step Functions to build AWS CloudFormation custom resources - Skycrafters

Step Functions make the task of orchestrating processes easier. Step Functions have built-in support for looping, waiting, and integrating with different functions and services.

3 Likes

Wow! First article contributed by a non-staff member and what an article it is! Bravo, @glb!

I’ve been using Custom Resources for a long time now, but never thought of using Step Functions as a way to avoid my Lambdas wait long (and the big bills!). Thanks for sharing that with us!

Since you ask which tools we are using, I’ve been using CDK a lot as a way to replace CloudFormation. Have you ever used it before? How do you feel about it?

1 Like

Thanks @raphabot ! I must admit that I haven’t used the CDK at all yet. I’ve been very curious about exploring the AWS Serverless Application Model (SAM), but my current tool of choice for building stacks is the Serverless Framework. You can do a lot of cool stuff with the basic framework, and there are a lot of helpful plugins as well.

At the end of the day all of these tools all create CloudFormation, so for me it’s about finding the right level of abstraction to meet my needs. I think there are a lot of cool things that you can do with the CDK, like potentially having a library of higher-level constructs that set reasonable defaults based on your local practices. It would be great to hear more about how you’ve worked the CDK into your practice!