What do you want to learn?

As we are all lifelong students, share with the community what you’d like to learn, what you are learning, or what is next!

For example I would like to learn more about how to use API gateways. My next real challenge to tackle is getting better at Python. After that, I want to learn Tensorflow.

Of course we can all Google. The idea here is that perhaps another community member has a great resource they happen to know about, or maybe they’re inspired to write something up themselves!

What are you learning?

3 Likes

Great idea to start a topic on learning, @ForkYoRepo!

I’d love to help anyone that is giving their first steps in Node (JavaScript/TypeScript).

I’m currently focusing my “learning time” on Community Build/Growth and I’m always checking what’s new around Cloud Architecture.

What about you?

1 Like

Great question, @ForkYoRepo

I would love to learn more about career development. More specifically, I am seeing an interesting trend of DBAs wanting to become SREs. How is that transitioning happening and supported. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not sure about DBAs migrating to SREs role, but I’m sure @AppieK can speak a ton about career development!

1 Like

I’ve always been learning for a purpose.

When building something, I will learn what I need to learn to build it. Whether is a technology, a tool, a process, or even a mindset.
Though there is something that I would love to learn but don’t have a purpose for it yet. That’s Machine Learning. It’s so much like a black box to me that I don’t know how and when to use it, like a big mystery.

@ForkYoRepo what do you want to learn Tensorflow, any specific use you want to apply that to?

Also, I think learning how to learn is invaluable and a must-have skill. Learning makes us realize there is so much more we don’t know, keeps us humble and open to new ideas.

1 Like

Hey Xabi! One of my personal hobbies is coding currency trading robots. I would like to write one that leverages ML to make trading decisions. I want to explore Tensorflow as a potential candidate for that project.

2 Likes

@ForkYoRepo Nice one, I used to make some arbitrage trading bots and really enjoyed it.

When making decisions, do you know in advance what you re looking for, i.e. spread, liquidity, patterns, volume, MACD etc. or would you let the machine decide what indicators to look for?

1 Like

My current bot knows exactly what it’s looking for, but it doesn’t use ML. Ideally, I’d like to feed Tensorflow the last 20 years of tick data, and then have it give me back probability on a single trigger. For example, if price breaks the first standard deviation Bollinger band, how likely is it to also break the second based on current conditions. This is all early thoughts. I haven’t even started this project yet. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I guess I just added a new topic to my “I want to learn list”: ML driven arbitrage bots. Thanks, guys.

1 Like

Toes in the sand, drink in the hand, while a robot makes $$ for me = the plan :slight_smile:

Perhaps I’ll find a spot here to start a thread on what I’ve done so far towards this goal.

3 Likes